Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Slice of Life: Washing Dishes

Pumpkin_2013-6
It's a good thing I have a double-sink because I don't know what else I would do.  Each time I turn on the tap to wash dishes, I hear a thud and tiny heavy feet trotting in my direction.  It's a sound that's usually accompanied by the sound of a plastic blue chair being dragged in my direction as well.

You set your place beside me and play with the running water through you tiny fingers.  You grab plastic cups (just washed and drying on the dish rack beside you) and fill them up.  I fill a big salad bowl with water and place it it your sink while I usurp the faucet and 2nd sink for menial, domestic activities.  You play so contently with the water, and if a little bit of Mama's dish soap falls in your bowl, well - you really get a kick out of the bubbles.

I started off trying to wash dishes while you napped or trying to be all quiet and stealth with my dish-washing skills.  Each time I heard the heavy little feet coming in my direction, I felt defeated.  Oh no, here he comes again.  Man!  I really need to get these dishes done.

But at some point, I accepted it and realized that one day you won't do this anymore.  And I'll remember when you used to be my dish-washing buddy.  And I'll miss it.  I only really need one sink anyway.  In fact, I didn't really have a double-sink before until this house.

We've got a good setup now.  Let's keep it going for awhile.

-Shirley (Mama-Ruff)
Pumpkin_2013-5 Pumpkin_2013-4

No comments:

Post a Comment