Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Flight to Disney World

Disney world

It was only a couple years ago that I had a traumatic experience on an airplane flight with my first born toddler.  It was a 9-hr flight to the Bahamas and it was HELL!  He did NOT want to stay still or quiet during the red-eye flight unless I walked up and down the aisle with him THE.......WHOLE..... FLIGHT.

I made an unrealistic vow at that moment I would never fly with AGAIN with toddlers!

Enter toddler #2 and a few flights later, and the trauma remains although it's not as bad as before.  Tater ( toddler #2) is completely different than my first.  He stays in his seat, or the vicinity, and take-off seems to miraculously put him to sleep instantly!  Hallelujah! 

Prior to choosing a 5-hr flight to DisneyWorld, I stalled and stalled on planning this vacation because Hubby was making long-ass destination suggestions like Fiji, Italy, or the Galapagos.  Um---- HELL no!  I was pushing for a 5-hr flight to Hawaii, personally.  I honestly gave up on my stall tactics near the end of our vacation planning.

I told my husband that if he really wanted to, I could do a trip to Jamaica but I wouldn't be able to handle any flights longer than that.  I thought my Hubs would instantly logon and book something.  Instead he stared at me semi-vacuously and said, "Plan B - let's go to DisneyWorld."

I guess at that moment my hubs realized that a trip to Jamaica would NOT be the paradise he was expecting with our two kids -- the most vocal kid of which HATES water.  What's that Mama?  Water you say?  Fuck no!

All the stress was 80% gone in my mind.  5-hrs on a plane?  I could do that!

So we packed 3 fully-charged iPads and a Kindle Fire and ZERO airplane toys.  (I learned that toys are catapulted onto other airplane passengers during previous flights).   My sister suggested a new dinosaur toy for the plane...  I told her a new dinosaur APP, maybe.   To save money, Tater sat on my lap for the flight - I wouldn't recommend it, and we booked our tickets too late to sit together as a family.  But the flight attendant helped us move passengers around so we could sit together in the end.  He even helped me down the aisle to my new seat.  My hands were full with bags, so I tried to make Tater walk to his dad at the new seat but Tater wasn't budging.  The flight-attendant took the iPad, and said, "Here baby, baby.... Follow the shiny iPad!...."  The passengers laughed, but it worked.  "You've done this before."  I said jokingly.

Sure, we had a couple tantrums, especially in the security line, and a passenger asked us to control Diego's seat-kicking on the return flight, but it was not the WORST I've lived through when it came to airplane flights. I've survived another flight with the Ruffians!!!  And they invaded Disney World.


Disney world Disney world Disney world Disney world Disney world Disney world Disney world Disney world Disney world Disney world Disney world Disney world

No comments:

Post a Comment