Thursday, May 2, 2013

Burning a Hole

SanPabloReservoir-9 I fell in love with a work-aholic.  It was his amazing devotion and will-power that impressed me (aside from his good looks).  Now the same things that peeked my interest in the dating years, are translating into daily annoyances ('cept for the good looks part).  He is devoted to his work and family.  I'm not an idiot - I know that if you love your family you need to work to support them, but the Hubs takes this idea to extremes sometimes.

He works so hard that by the time he gets home most days, his only job is burning a hole in the couch.  He lays there, feet up - and it gets under my skin.  I work too, then I pick up the kids, then I come home and start cooking dinner while the kids are screaming, then hubs calls me to ask me if dinner will be ready in 10 minutes (really?  I mean, REALLY?), then he comes home and burns a hole in the couch.

Listen here.  The couch is lulling me too!  I try to give in to it often and sit my ass in it.  But then (and there's always a "But then")  you can choose any of the following:
  • Mateo comes over for the 53rd time and grabs my hand crying and leads me to the kitchen,
  • Diego asks for demands milk,
  • the timer goes off and I need to get up and turn off the stove,
  • Qori is standing in front of the sliding door wanting to come in and I'm the ONLY one in the universe with the ability to slide open a door. 

All this while he lays there on the couch watching TV and simultaneously on his iPad without even flinching.

I calm myself down.  I tell myself: "He's been physically working - you've been sitting at a desk all day." Then I imagine how tough single moms would have it, and decide that I don't have it worse, so I should stop bitching.

And you know what?  It took him some time, but Hubs figured it out.  Says he's been working too much lately and we need some family time, so we use our Family Sunday to go boating in a reservoir.  And while I'm watching the kids on the boat, I see this:
Untitled
Now I have two.  They're both burning a hole in the boat!  We're gonna fuckin' sink....  like my morale.

But we don't sink.  And you know why?  Because I fell in love with this man.  And I'm still in love with this man.  He could be on the couch, but he's not.  He brought us here.  And later on he redeemed himself with a simple unspoken gesture.  I reviewed the photos in my camera and found that he had stopped burning a hole through the boat enough for a few seconds to capture pictures of this Mama and her Ruffians "in the moment".  I love those types of pictures, and he rarely takes them if at all.  The Hubs behind the camera was paying attention...  

I think we'll stay afloat :)   - Shirley

 
SanPabloReservoir-2
SanPabloReservoir-1
SanPabloReservoir-8
SanPabloReservoir-7
SanPabloReservoir-4

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad your hole-burner was able to capture photos of you three and such good ones at that. :)

    ReplyDelete